Albergo Ristorante Pizzeria Beata Giovannina
Arriving from Milan by car, take highway A8 towards Varese-Lakes. Follow the signs for Varese up to a point where the highway splits: going to the right and continue for Varese while keeping the left continue for Gravellona Toce. Follow signs Gravellona Toce and you automatically enter the A26. Here continue straight until you find the exit Baveno / Stresa. Exit the highway and follow signs for Verbania along the lake, our hotel is on the right at 20 minutes from the motorway.
From Milan’s central station to reach Verbania you can take two different trains: the Milan – Domodossola or the Milan – Geneva. The station, just 10 minutes from our hotel is connected to the city center with a bus service, the stop is right behind our hotel.
Verbania is 50 km from Milan Malpensa airport and 100 km from Milan Linate.
Both airports are connected to the central station in Milan with a bus service / shuttle and offer different solutions for any car rental.
Locarno 43 km
Milano 100 km
Torino 150 km
Genova 215 km
Venezia 360 km
Firenze 400 km
Roma 674 km
Since ancient times the area of Lake Maggiore, for its mild climate and its landscape lighting and yet rich in character, was the destination of many pilgrimages travel and cultural and religious.
Poets and artists have always been fascinated mysterious Leonardo Da Vinci Hamingway, from Queen Victoria to the King of Saudi Arabia. In 1837 Ruskin wrote: “I call this region of Lake Maggiore the terrestrial paradise, an Eden of Italy.
“… It seems that nature has tried to express the fullness of his heart in every way possible when he made these lakes formed and planted these shores. Lake Maggiore is grandiose and resplendent in its beauty, the view of the Alps gives the scene a sort of ecstasy lyric “- Margaret Fuller
It was 1632, the small island in the middle of the Gulf South in front of Verbano in Stresa, said of St. Victor, was bare rock, residual stone shaped by glaciers. Count Carlo III Borromeo started construction on the island then a building to be dedicated to his wife Isabella D’Adda. Thus was born that masterpiece which is now called Isola Bella, a name which, although it seems a phonetic pun to Isabella, however, is the most appropriate place name for the island. Nearly all the island is occupied by large building, which contributed to the design of the best architects of the time. The sumptuous interior of the various rooms are full of works of art, furniture, tapestries un’imperdibile collection of Flemish tapestries. In the underground halls, the taste of the time is reflected in artificial caves with walls covered with tufa, shells and mirrors black marble figures of nymphs. The park around the palace, a triumph of the Italian garden, is composed of ten superimposed terraces pyramid crops. Among the statues, fountains, camellias, magnolias, cypress, citrus fruits, rare plants flowers in abundance of a thousand brilliant colors. At the top, topped by the spectacular theater unicorn, the emblem of the House Borromeo
The largest island of the Borromeo is the Isola Madre, a botanical garden on the water. The garden is one of the most impressive for the luxuriant vegetation and the variety of its plants. It can be considered among the most important and oldest in Italy. On the island there is another beautiful building of the Borromeo family, dating back to 1590. His visit is interesting in that they were reconstructed in fine antique furnished rooms. There is also an exhibition of ancient theaters puppets. Facing Pallanza, almost touching the tip of the Castagnola is the last island of the archipelago. It dell’Isolino of St. John, still private property of the Borromeo family. Fu resort of illustrious personages, including the maestro Arturo Toscanini.
Isola Superiore dei Pescatori is occupied almost entirely by an old, rustic villages, narrow and winding, which fades away in the beautiful promenade of the northern tip of the island. The archipelago is the island most people, but not unattractive. Indeed the charm lies in its grace rested country typically Lombard, inhabited by industrious and frugal, even in part devoted to fishing.
Rare example of a completely preserved medieval fortified building, the Castle or Rocca Borromeo Angera stands on a spur of limestone that has always dominated the southern part of Lake Maggiore.
The imposing building contains important testimonies of local history revisited through the wondrous cycle of frescoes dating from the end of ’200. The spectacular Rock invites the visitor to a fascinating encounter with the historical events of this land and its traditions.
On a promontory surrounded by lush tropical vegetation type is found the village of Cannero. Small but charming place, enjoys the privilege, through the inlet natural, to be sheltered from cold winds and prolonged exposure to sunlight, even in winter. The lakeside promenade is the meeting point for tourists who like to take long walks to admire the fabulous view. Characteristic Cannero are the picturesque castle rises on two islands a short distance from shore. These rocks, though now reduced to ruins, have lost the ambiguous charm of being the refuge of the brothers Mazzarditi, bandits engaged in the abduction of young girls who terrorized the entire coast of Verbano the end of ’300.
VILLA SAN REMIGIO
Rises at the highest point of the promontory of Castagnola, in a large park. The villa dates from the late nineteenth century and was conceived in view of fusion between architecture and nature that reflect the ideals and aspirations of its owners: the Irish painter Sophie Browne and the Neapolitan poet and musician Silvio della Valle di Casanova. The two, influenced by the cultural climate of the late nineteenth century romantic, wanted to recreate the environment of the great Italian Renaissance and Baroque villas. Famous guests of the villa were, among others, Gabriele D’Annunzio and the Futurist painter Umberto Boccioni, whose own recent paintings depict the landscapes of the lake.
The huge complex of gardens of Villa Taranto occupies the north eastern side of the promontory of Castagnola. The building of the villa is located in the upper part of the park, away from the white entrance gate. It was built in the late nineteenth century by a certain Count Bears in 1900 and purchased by the Earl of St. Elias, chamberlain of the court of Savoy, who in turn sold it to Scottish captain Neil McEacharn Antonio, archer queen of England and Academic Linne. And ‘thanks to hard work and methods of this Scottish gentleman, if we can now visit the most beautiful botanical gardens of Europe. In 1939 Neil McEacharn decided to donate the house and the whole complex of the park to the Italian State. In 1952 the gardens were opened to the public, and are now managed by the Villa Taranto Botanical Gardens, which, in addition to well-preserved the legacy received by the Scottish captain, has continued to enrich the botanical heritage and landscape with new varieties of trees.